Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lots of cooking today!

For some reason, I really got into a cooking mood today!  I started off making tortellini soup for our lunches this week!  This was the first time I have ever made it.  I actually got the idea from The Frugal Girl's blog but made my own variety with the ingredients that I had on hand.

Tortellini Soup

1. combine: 4 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth; 2 cups water; 1 can diced tomatoes undrained; 1/4 jar tomato sauce (this is what I had left over from another nights dinner - I would recommend using at least 1/2 a jar); 1 zucchini choped; 2 mushrooms chopped into a large pot over medium heat.

2. Add seasonings for flavor: a small amount of hot sauce (we like a little kick), italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano

3. While that simmered I cooked this amazing sausage from Trader Joes.  It was one pound of their chicken and sundried tomato sausage.  Remove the casing and break into small pieces while cooking.  Once done add it to the simmering broth.

4. Cook 16oz of dry tortellini pasta as directed on the bag.  Add to other ingredients and simmer for 5-10 more minutes.  Viola!

Next I decided that I was tired of wasting banana's.  We had a couple bananas left that were getting ready to go bad so I made banana bread. 

Jen's Banana Bread

- 1 1/2 cups whole weat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup I Can't Believe Its Not Butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs (I used Egg Beaters)
- 5 bananas Mashed
- 2 tablespoons non-fat yogurt
- cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract
- handful of chocolate chips

I started wtih a standard base recipe for banana bread but decided to make it semi healthly and add my own twist. 

1. Combine all flours, baking soda, salt into a small bowl and mix.  Sprinkle in some cinnamon and nutmeg.

2. Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl.  Add a little vanilla extract.

3. Peel 5 bananas and put into bowl.  Mash the bananas until mostly smooth.  Add yogurt and eggs and blend together.

4. Mix the banana mixture in with the sugar and butter mixture.  Add in flour mixture.  Mix together carefully.  Overmixing will cause the bread to become very dry. 

5. Sprinkle in chocolate chips and then place into greased bread pan.  Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of the mixture and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment